Starling Nest Box
- These bird boxes are designed with a 45mm entrance hole especially for starlings.
- Easy to mount on buildings or trees to provide a dry, comfortable nest site for starlings.
- Ideally put up a few of these bird boxes on adjacent trees or buildings to encourage a loose colony to form.
- Constructed from precision cut FSC certified softwood panels treated with water based environmentally friendly preservative.
- Due to high demand and delays in timber supplies caused by a combination of Covid and Brexit this product is currently unavailable. We expect to have the boxes back in stock and available by early April.
£20.00 excl. VAT £24.00 inc. VAT
Starlings have declined as a breeding bird in the UK by as much as 50% in the last 25 years. It is now on the Birds of Conservation Concern Red List reflecting this worrying decline. Starlings use a whole range of nesting sites on buildings and trees, and our nestbox provides a comfortable, safe and dry nest site for starlings to use when natural sites may be scarce.
Whilst starlings may use natural cavities at a range of heights, when putting up these bird nesting boxes we suggest they are placed 2.5m or higher above the ground. Starlings are gregarious birds and often nest in a loose colony so if you are able to put up several boxes in a group on adjacent trees or buildings you may well find a colony building up and occupying all your boxes.
The starling box is our largest round aperture box. Constructed from precision cut FSC certified external grade European birch plywood, it is treated with environmentally friendly preservative which is kind to the birds and ensures a long lasting dry comfortable nest box. It features convenient access for cleaning etc, through its hinged roof, and flip over latch lock.
The starling box is also just the right size for Great Spotted Woodpeckers but before woodpeckers will use the box they need to excavate material to make the cavity. If you want to encourage woodpeckers to use your starling box then we suggest you fill the box with suitable material (sawdust, woodchips and even polystyrene have all proved successful).
|Product||Starling Nest Box|
|Material||FSC Certified Exterior Grade European Birch Plywood|
|Construction||Panels stapled together with surface sunk staples.|
|Finish||Non-toxic water based stain and preservative|
|Dimensions||Overall height: 51cm, Overall width: 16cm, Overall Depth: 18cm|
|Fixing||Two mounting holes at top of back panel|